Thursday, January 12, 2012

It's All about ... Me?

A sweet friend sent me on a complimentary spa date today. (Thanks, Janet!) I had my very first deep tissue massage and a 20-minute session on an Amethyst Bio-Mat (http://theamethystbiomat.com/). Pure bliss! As my masseuse set to work on all the knots in my neck and shoulders, she said, "Relax, this is all about you." I'm pretty sure no one has ever said that to me before.

In building fiction, it really is all about the protagonist. His needs and desires kick start the plot while his character flaws tend to apply the brakes. If you have trouble with your plot, as I currently do, conventional wisdom says to revisit your protagonist. What does she want more than anything? What is the character flaw keeping her from reaching it? Tell her it's all about her and she just might divulge her secrets and solve your plotting problem.

I'll let you know if it works.




1 comment:

  1. Great post! Perhaps I need to have a little chat with my protagonist.

    ReplyDelete