Saturday, October 3, 2009

One on Voice Mail & One on Hold

With his mother's help, my two-and-a-half-year-old grandson called me the other day on my cell phone. I had just parked in the garage and opened my car door when I got his voice mail, "Hi, Mimi." It was the first time he'd ever left me a voice mail and the first time he'd called me by my "name." I was so surprised I nearly fell out of the car.

Now that he's broken the ice, he calls me a lot. Before he hangs up he says, "I love you, Mimi. Bye-bye."

Having children in your life--your own, your friend's, or your grandchildren--is a big plus in many ways. If you intend to write fiction and/or nonfiction for children, they can help you create believable characters or inform you as to what subjects interest children of a certain age. Some published authors say that you can get by on your own childhood memories, but I'm not so sure.

Btw, my middle daughter finds out in three days whether she's having a girl or a boy!

1 comment:

  1. Awww...this made my day. And made me teary-eyed. It's one thing to experience it, and another entirely to read it in print!

    ReplyDelete